10 - How to Select Control Rules
Laboratories must select appropriate QC rules based on the quality required for a test and the method’s observed accuracy and precision. In this activity, participants are introduced to the Sigma-metrics QC Selection Tool, available at Westgard.com. Using a case scenario, participants will select appropriate QC rules and design a QC strategy for a workstation.
- The measurement procedure’s quality requirement and the accuracy and precision must be considered in the selection of appropriate QC rules.
- The control rule selected should alert the laboratorian to a significant change before wrong results are reported.
- Selected control rules should maximize the error detection (Ped ≥ 90%) and minimize the false rejection (Pfr ≤ 5%) while using the lowest number of control measurements possible.
- Select appropriate QC rules using the Sigma-metrics QC Selection Tool from the Westgard internet site?
- Select a TEA% using the Westgard internet site?
- Design an effective QC strategy for a workstation?
- Handout 1_QC Rule Selection (1003).pdf
- Handout 2_ Monthly Review Log (1004).xlsx
- Job Aid 1_Frequency of Chart Review(909).pdf
- Job Aid 2_Steps for Developing a QC Strategy (1009).docx
- Job Aid_Defining a QC Protocol (407).docx
- Worksheet 1_Predicting Ped Capabilities (1006).docx
- Worksheet 2_Candidate QC Rules (1007v2) NEW.docx